Exercise Your Right to Vote!
The City Clerk administers city, state and federal elections. Staff in the city clerk's office is available to answer your questions about elections including candidate filing, voter registration, and absentee voting. The city clerk's office is open Monday - Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm.
City Elections - 2017
- Four municipal offices will be on the ballot and open for filing: Councilmember Wards 1, 2, 3, & 4
- Candidate filing for city offices opens on May 16, 2017 and closes on May 30, 2017 at 5 pm
- Candidates may withdraw until June 1 at 5 pm (remove their name from the ballot)
- Candidates must reside within the ward they seek nomination (see Council Ward Map)
- A Primary Election will be held on August 8 IF three or more candidates file for the same office
- School Board offices for ISD #283 will also be on the ballot (General Election only)
- There will be no federal, state, or county offices on the ballot in 2017
Important Election Dates:
|May 16||Municipal candidate filing opens|
|May 30||Municipal candidate filing closes at 5 pm|
|June 1||Deadline for candidate to withdraw (by 5 pm)|
|June 23||Absentee voting opens, if there is a Primary|
|August 5||Absentee voting available at City Hall 10 am - 3 pm|
|August 7||Absentee voting closes at 5 pm, if there is a Primary|
|August 8||Primary Election, if necessary (7 am - 8 pm)|
|Aug. 10 or 11||City Council Special Meeting to canvass election results|
|September 22||1st Day of Absentee Voting for General Election|
|November 4||Absentee voting available at City Hall 10 am - 3 pm|
|November 6||Absentee voting closes at 5 pm|
|November 7||ELECTION DAY (7 am - 8pm)|
updated: Monday, March 20, 2017
When is the candidate filing period for municipal offices?
The candidate filing period for municipal offices is May 16 - May 30 at 5 pm.
The candidate withdrawal period is May 31 - June 1 at 5 pm.
What are the requirements to become a candidate for municipal office?
How do I file for a municipal office?
Where do I file for office?
Candidates for municipal offices file an affidavit of candidacy, nominating petition, and filing fee with the city clerk.
- The clerk's office is located on the 3rd floor of St. Louis Park City Hall, 5005 Minnetonka Boulevard
- The clerk's office is open Monday - Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm
- Please Note: City offices will be closed on Monday, May 29, 2017 in observance of Memorial Day
Candidates for the St. Louis Park School Board must file an affidavit of candidacy at the St. Louis Park Public Schools District Office.
- The candidate filing period for School Board positions is August 1 - August 15, 2017
- The District Office is located at 6425 West 33rd Street
- For more information, including hours of operation, please contact Cindy Bennett at 952-928-6001
When can I collect signatures on a nominating petition?
Important Forms for Candidates:
2017 Nominating Petition
2017 Affidavit of Candidacy
2017 Municipal Candidate Guide
2016 Campaign Guide (provided by Office of Secretary of State)